OSS Telecom Technology in Bend, Oregon is a branch of OSS Telecom Technology Taiwan which is a $300 Million steel conglomerate. The main company was established to explore opportunities in operations support systems in the telecom software sector. The company boasts a solid base that includes 24 telecom operators using their software.
OSS Telecom Technology will pursue several goals to help them quickly gain market penetration. The first is to create a high-quality, high-value product in the telecom industry. It is crucial that internal operations can develop top-quality human assets by offering training and other incentives. OSS Telecom Technology will also pursue a customer intimacy model. The pursuit of this specific business model will ensure complete satisfaction of their customers.
OSS Telecom Technology offers a range of OSS-based products designed to support the telecom market. Their first product is CARIBOU, a subscriber billing software solution. CARIBOU addresses traffic processing as well as bill generation, accounts payable and system administration. Each module in CARIBOU has its own robust application.
OSS Telecom Technology also offers the MEDUSA product. The MEDUSA product offers network support through configuration, control and management of network elements.
The market potential of OSS Telecom Technology’s product is immense. This can be seen in the rapid growth of the telecom industry. Currently, the telecom industry is the strongest growth industry and is responsible for huge gains in the capital markets. Cell phones, which are just one part of the telecom industry, are expanding at rates previously unimaginable. One illustration is that it is expected that within the next two years, 65% will have cell phones. Broadband Internet service is also predicted to be at an all-time high. In three years, it is projected that 85% percent of the population will have broadband access with 60% of them subscribing.
OSS Telecom Technology aims to target two markets. The first is Tier 2 telecom operators. This segment boasts a 8% annual increase rate and 481 possible customers. Tier 3 telecom operators will be the second target market segment. While the annual growth rate of this segment is less at 6%, there are more potential customers, 2,011.
OSS Telecom Technology assembled an experienced management group to manage the organization in this competitive market. They drew heavily on their industry experience to select the team. Because the telecom industry is highly technical, it is crucial to have detailed information and insight into this niche sector. Victor Smith has been brought in as CEO. Victor has 25 years’ telecom experience. Victor served as the COO of Atlas Telecom over the past 12 years. This is a significant player. Kenneth Jones is an additional Atlas Telecom executive. Kenneth is also the Executive Vice president and previously worked for the NCR Corporation, Harris Corp. Kenneth has a broad range of experience at these companies and brings a wealth of knowledge to OSS Telecom Technology. James Jackson, who has extensive experience from IBM, Atlas Mosaics, Lotus Development Corporation and Mosaics is also an Executive vice president. Rounding out the management team is Ken Smith with topical experience from MIDCOM Communications and US Intelio Networks.
OSS Telecom Technology is leveraging their strong management team as well as their superior product offerings to reach Break-even in year 2. After a year of Net Loss, the Net Profit will increase in year two. However, it will be lower in year three. The sales for OSS Telecom Technology are expected be modest in year one, but to see a significant increase in year three.
OSS Telecom Technology’s operating model was designed to achieve our goals, which include:
- Developing OSS Solutions for Telecom Operations.
- Bringing high value, high quality products to market.
- Training and competitive incentives to enhance human potential.
- Practice customer intimacy business models
Our mission is to be the provider of high value, high quality, convergent OSS solutions to telecom operators worldwide. These scalable solutions will have unparalleled support to ensure flexibility and to meet–
Customers’ expectations will be exceeded
1.3 Keys to Success
OSS Telecom Technology made a series of distinct strategic decisions to help it achieve its mission. Two key factors have been used to guide these choices:
- The OSS marketplace
- The company’s capabilities
These strategic imperatives are key to OSS Telecom Technology’s success in the OSS marketplace. There are three levels of operators within the telecom market. Tier 1 refers to operators that have more than one hundred thousand subscribers. Tier 2 is for operators with between 100,000-one million subscribers. Tier 3 refers to operators that have less than 100,000 subscribers.
- Value-focus OSS Telecom Technology will target Tier 3 operators by providing fully featured, scalable, and reliable service and products at affordable prices. The lifecycle price of OSS Telecom Technology’s software products will be 20-40% below Tier 1 competitors such as LHS and Kenan, but will still possess all the features and services offered by these players. While Tier 3 competitors such as Moscom are cheaper, they will not be able compete with the features or service OSS Telecom Technology provides.
- Wireline and Wireless Product Portfolio: OSS Telecom Technology’s product offering will evolve from Global Systems for Mobile Communications (GSM) to include other wireless, fixed, and Internet billing solutions. OSS Telecom Technology already has expanded its product ranges to include local loop and convergent billing capabilities.
- Engineering Center of Excellence: OSS Telecom Technology will continue to develop its low cost, high quality software development and programming center in Taiwan, which provides significant cost advantages over U.S. and Europe-based competitors.
- Consulting Services OSS Telecom Technology will combine products and consulting services to build strong customer relationships. This will allow OSS Telecom Technology to expand its product offerings. Our customers will benefit from a more personal, relationship-driven approach through the provision of consulting services. OSS Telecom Technology will pursue those projects which can be made into products and marketed to other potential customers. OSS Telecom Technology has strict criteria that it uses to select which consulting services projects they undertake. If the opportunity exists to ‘#8220â€™ productize or duplicate the solution, the project won’t be pursued.
- Marketing Channels An international marketing and sales team will set up both direct as well as indirect sales channels. In order to capitalize on the opportunities in each geographic region, OSS Telecom Technology has put into place a network of on-the-ground, experienced, and incentivized sales and marketing personnel. These teams will create both direct customer relationships (through systems integrators and switch manufacturers, for example) as well indirect channels. OSS Telecom Technology will gain significant leverage through the indirect channel partners. OSS Telecom Technology allocates resources to build its partnerships with indirect channels. Partners such as Compaq will allow OSS Telecom Technology to gain geographic reach, credibility, and customers which would not otherwise be possible. These partnerships will be nurtured by specific partner support programs.